Black Forest Crinkle Cookies
Makes two dozen 3″ cookies, total time about 1 hour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules mixed with 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries (1.5 oz)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Melt butter in a second small bowl in a microwave or a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add cocoa to melted butter, whisking until smooth. Stir in the egg, coffee mixture, and vanilla, fully blending in each one before adding the next. Stir chocolate mixture into flour mixture just until combined.
- Fold chocolate chips and cherries into the dough until evenly distributed. Shape into generous 2″ balls using a #40 cookie scoop or a heaping tablespoon measure.
- Roll balls in powdered sugar two times, then arrange on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2″ apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are cracked, yet still soft; do not overbake. Let cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to rack.